sábado, 21 de março de 2009

On photography - Solstício


Photography has to be objective!
People, when looking at a picture, have to “see” the fork, the person, the sunset, the automobile.
But, further than the subject itself, more than the “what”, they also have to “see” the “where”: the table, the house, the sea, the road.
If any of those items aren’t readable at a glance, the viewer rejects the photograph or, at least, we ear the old six FAQ about photography.
Painters, as abstractionists or surrealists, have more freedom with their work, since the public, together with the understanding, try to feel something, knowing than that was the goal of the painter.
As for us, poor photographers, we have to walk through one of three options:
Either we don’t worry about those readings and questions and keep doing what we like and how we like;
Or we have to do it in a way that the viewer have to think and try to find out what we have to say;
Or we do a fast and easy pictures, with fast and easy readings, and give the public a pre-digest photography, with no questions made, but also with no answers.

This photograph was done in June 2008, some days before the 21th, somewhere around the 6 pm. This is the “When”.
And it was done by me. This is the “Who”.
It took place in the park where I use to do my “Oldfashion” project. This is the “Where”.
The rock is one that I use to take with me, as a helper to thinking and has something like 10 cm height. The background is the pavement of the park. This is the “What”.
The rock was on the ground, secured with a little piece of wood on the back and away from the lens. I use my Pentax K100D, with a 18-55mm lens, wide open and with the smaller diaphragm I could get. It was on the ground and I was knelling, peeping trough an 90º angle viewfinder. If I didn’t use it, I had to lay on the pavement, like a worm. This is the “How”.
I had in mind, when doing it, an homage to our ancestors, those of pre-historical times, that were able to identify the four main days of the year: the equinoxes and the solstices. And, having no writings, mat or other sciences known to us, aligned those huge monuments made of stone, pointing to the sunsets of those special days. Those achievements make me be with my mouth wide open, considering us, today, ignorant and unable to do anything deserving special recognition. This is the “Why”.

But the “whys” aren’t important to most of viewers, since their questions has been always about the “Whats” and the “Hows”. Even after reading the text.

Being so:
Either I’m a poor photographer, since I failed in communicating my message, the supposed main goal of photography;
Or photography is, in fact, a copy of the material universe and not at all the inside world of the photographer, expressed trough light and shadows on a flat surface.


Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: