terça-feira, 3 de fevereiro de 2009

Light meters


Most of now-a-days photographers forget that “Photography” means “Writing with light”.
They point and shot, hoping that the “smart guy inside” do the fastidious job of calculate the right exposure. Some times they do a little bit more and over or under expose 1 or 2 EV. ( Btw, do you know what “EV” means?)
As for me, I like to know the paint I use, that is, the existent light around and use it for my pleasure. Some times I got lasy, let it just flow and use the smart guy. Others, I prefer to use one of my meters.
Generally, I use the Seconic. We can choose read incident or reflected light and its scale is very clear and easy to work with. The Weston and the Gossen ones are just pieces from my collection. They still work and give exact measures, but I have a especial feel for the Seconic.
If you are going to use the Seconic (studio model), be careful! The grid for reflected light is calibrated for skin tone, that is, 36% of reflectance, not 18% as most of light meters are, your camera included. You either take it in consideration or do as I did, long time ago, covering some holes until it gives the right reading to average subject. The use a grey and neutral card as reference for the calibration would be nice and exact.

Working with light is like drinking a old wine, listen to good music or making love: One have to feel the pleasure of doing it, shading or unshading the subject, understanding and working the contrast, knowing, when pressing the shutter release, what it will look like at the end. Not just framing, perspective, subject and “Decisive instant”.
Photoshops and others are powerful tools. But if you don’t like light, if you don’t work it, you aren’t a photographer. You are just a picture taker!
As for me, I’m still looking to find out what I am!


Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: