quarta-feira, 15 de abril de 2009

On photography - intrusions


I was young, I had my camera and the world was there to be photographed.
And I had this foolish and naïf idea that my pictures could make some difference, changing it into something better!
Through the years I learned a few things about it:
First, I realize that I wasn’t the good photographer I wanted. Not even the tenth part of it.
Secondly, I decided that I wouldn’t ever be in the competitive and fierce world of free-lancing photography. I want to photograph what I want and like and not what some editor may want, with the doubtful criteria dictated by the selling numbers.
And, at last, I realize that my pictures where nothing but some trophies, hanged in some wall or in the darkness of some archive. They aren’t changing anything. Neither what so ever in the life of those I photographed.
Except the intrusion on their life, getting some snapshots without their permission. The poor and weaker the person is, the strong feeling of intrusion I have!
This is why, all together, I seldom photograph strangers without permission. At least there must be a look or a smile.

On those very early 80’s, I didn’t knew this. That’s why I’ve done this picture, a situation that makes my soul hurts even today. Further more because I know that it was taken on a December 24th, in the afternoon.
This boy shouldn’t be there, selling newspapers, while everybody where buying some late Christmas present, the same kind of presents he should be dreaming about. Seen on the shop window, just in front of him!
Where ever you are, who ever you are, I hope you forgive me for this photograph!



Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: