sexta-feira, 11 de dezembro de 2009

New toy


Sometimes, things aren’t the way we want!
I went to this nearby McDonalds to make some test with both cameras, K100D and K7. I intended to use as target their well known clown, so that colours and details were almost universal.
Unfortunately, McDonalds is changing its corporate image, so their clown, here known as McRobert, is no longer there. They are even changing their colours, from strong and vivid ones to some more pastel, greys, pinks, greens, blues and grenás. I think it is due to the ecological times we are living, as well as to fight the rumours about their food.
So, the only world wide sign I could shoot was this and here it is for you to see.
- Differences and similarities:
The K7 had my 70-300 Sigma, the K100D had my 18-55 Pentax;
Both were done with ISO 800, spotmetering and sky as metering point, using auto exposure;
The K100D was later enlarged to match the K7 size, as you can see;
They were both with daylight balanced, JPEG and maximum definition;
No other adjustments were done.
- Analyzing it:
Besides the obvious differences about definition, we can found some colour shift and light differences.
As for colour, I’m still trying to understand the little shift towards blue. Next time I’ll do it with manual white balance using an obvious white card.
As for light, there are some reading differences: the K7 did it with 1/1600 and f/10, the K100D did it with 1/1000 and f/11.
I can imagine that is happening here something like what happened with my handheld lightmeter Seconic DeLuxe, some 30 years ago:
When using it for reflected light, it always demanded a stop less than all the others meters I had or used as comparison. After thinking a bit, and reading the user manual, I found out that its grid for reflected light was calibrated for skin, not for 18% grey card. I did some work on it, covering some of its holes and, since then, it works as any other lightmeter, whit faithful results.
I still have to check it out!

Sem comentários: